Happy Valentine’s Day, to all you couples out there! This year’s Valentine’s Day falls on the 3rd day of Chinese New Year and for those who are single, I totally understand the possible questions that you will be bombarded with during this Chinese New Year.
As we celebrate this occasion or even if we don’t have a partner to celebrate with, it is always good to show love for the people around us, be it friends or family. Did you know that there are 5 types of love languages? Do you even know what your own love language is? The way you feel loved may not necessarily be the way your partner feels loved. So, read on to find out more!
The 5 different love languages describe the way in which we feel loved and appreciated. It will also be good to know how the people you care for want to be loved. According to Dr. Chapman, the 5 love languages are: Words of Affirmation, Acts of Services, Receiving Gifts, Quality Time and Physical Touch. Let us dive deeper into each aspect and find out what are the best gifts for these 5 languages personality, shall we?
This love language expresses love with words that build up your partner. Things like “I love you”, words of appreciation and compliments, means a huge deal to your partner. You appreciate when you are being acknowledged and praised. It’s nice to have your actions recognized with kind words, no matter how small. It lets you know you are valued. Extra brownie points if it is out of the blue. In addition, when you do something nice for your partner, they respond with, “Thank You,” which makes you feel recognized and affirmed.
🎁 Recommended Gifts:
- A handwritten card on how much you appreciate them, and some loving words will definitely send them on cloud nine.
- A book can be a good option too.
This is when you do something you know your partner would like. It is when you do the small little things like bringing soup to your partner when he or she is sick, helping to make coffee in the morning. You think that talk is cheap, and that action speaks louder than words. You need someone to come through and to know you can rely on them. When you feel tired or stressed out, it would be the most comforting if your partner is able to step in and help you alleviate the burden. This is so relatable to one of our Bulbers!
🎁 Recommended ‘Gifts’ (Services):
- Offer your service on the house chores such as vacuuming the homes, doing the laundry.
- Whip out a candlelit dinner. Remember to wash the dishes thereafter.
- Serve them like the King/ Queen during their birthday months (limited to 1 month, you’re not their helper ultimately).
A thoughtful gift makes your partner feel loved and appreciated. This is not about the monetary value but rather the symbolic meaning behind the thought for the gift. The careful reflection, the deliberate choosing of objects to represent the relationship, and the emotional benefits from receiving the gift. The gesture of receiving the gift demonstrates that you are seen, cared for and prized. You really thrive on thoughtfulness behind the gesture and treasure nostalgic items.
🎁 Recommended Gifts:
- Select the gifts with thoughts and they have to be of special significance to the relationship.
- In this case, it is not the value of the present that matters the most, but the thought that counts so select with the person in mind and give them what they would like to receive not what you think they like.
This is all about undivided attention. Active listening, making eye contacts and being fully present is of paramount importance in such a relationship. Being fully present means omitting digital devices and any distractions. It is meaningful when they make time just for you, prioritize you in their schedule, and don’t cancel plans. Creating memories and special moments is of great importance. Sharing new experiences means the world to you. You tend to feel happy and content even if you guys aren’t doing anything. The important thing is that you are spending focused time with each other.
🎁 Recommended Gifts/Ways to spend time together:
- Book a weekend staycation (Singaporeans 🇸🇬, you can utilize your SingapoReDiscover Voucher of $100).
- Schedule a date night at least once a month.
- Watch a Netflix with a glass of red wine and healthy chips.
They feel connected and safe in a relationship by holding hands, kissing and hugging etc. Physical intimacy and touch can be incredibly affirming and serve as powerful emotional connectors for people with this love language. This is the most straightforward love language.
🎁 Recommended Gifts/How to show love:
- Give them a massage and get kinky (Not giving you guys too much information here).
- Cuddle under the blanket and watch Netflix!
As much as love language is an important tool in how we communicate and express ourselves to each other, it shouldn’t be the ultimate solution to happiness. It should instead function as a starting point that sets couples on a journey to understand one another in a profound way but having said that, the work shouldn’t stop there.
If you would like to learn more about your own love language, you may want to refer to this website:
We hope you and your loved ones enjoy this Valentine’s Day. If you are single and looking out for your ‘the other half’, may you find your special partner soon. 🥰